In today’s competitive, global economy, Lean Six Sigma is more popular than ever because everyone is challenged to become more efficient. As more and more organizations all over the world launch and enhance their Lean Six Sigma efforts, we’re sharing insights into where and how it’s being used to help everyone everywhere improve.
Jump to Survey Results
- Learner Results and Feedback
- Online or Onsite Lean Six Sigma Training
- Training & Certification Provider Preference
- Hireability of Green Belts vs. Non-Green Belts
- Standardized Problem Solving for Organizations
- DMAIC Phase Challenges
- Reasons for Process Improvement Project Failure
Our Lean Six Sigma Industry Insight Report shares information on:
- What industries and job functions is Lean Six Sigma used in?
- Are organizations successful at achieving their goals with Lean Six Sigma?
- How do organizations and individuals view Lean Six Sigma?
Here are the results of this survey as of June 2020:
Results as of June 2020
Lean Six Sigma Industry Insight Key Findings
- The vast majority (77%) of industries/verticals using Lean Six Sigma are in Service/Transactional organizations. Only 23% of people surveyed were in Manufacturing organizations.
- Government (11%) was the industry/vertical using Lean Six Sigma the most, followed closely by Healthcare organizations (11%). Many Government organizations are responding to mandates to improve their community services. This has given rise to Federal, State, City and Local agencies utilizing Lean Six Sigma to increase the efficiency and quality of their processes to better serve their citizens.
- Education (10%) and Accounting/Finance (8%) came in third and fourth respectively. For Education, this included a mixture of Lean Six Sigma application to improve internal educational processes, but also extended to teaching process improvement to students since the demand for Lean Six Sigma Training & Certification is increasing worldwide.
- Accounting and Finance are supporting functions within every organization and their processes affect the overall business, so improvements positively impact day-to-day work life. CPAs are also able to advance their analytical skills while earning CPEs for completing Lean Six Sigma Training & Certification courses.
- The majority (66%) of processes benefiting from Lean Six Sigma application were in Service/Transactional Processes. Only 34% of processes were in Manufacturing.
- In a close comparison, 54% of organizations have used Lean Six Sigma (including the entire Fortune 500). 46% have not.
- Of the organizations who have used Lean Six Sigma, the majority (56%) have applied it successfully. 44% have not been successful with Lean Six Sigma.
- As might be expected, a similar percentage (64%) of organizations view Lean Six Sigma positively, while 33% view it neutrally and only 3% view it negatively.
- Green Belt (41%) and Black Belt Training & Certification (30%) rank highest in terms of the certifications organizations and individuals are most interested in. Third most popular level was Yellow Belt (15%), followed by Lean (12%) and White Belt (2%).
Share Your Insight
To help us create and share these insights with you, we invite you to complete this short survey. Your feedback will also help us improve your learning experiences. You’ll also receive a 10% off coupon code valid towards any course, support tool, or membership.
More Research & Reports
Learner Results & Feedback
Learners able to deliver improvement results:
- Yes = 81
- No = 19%
How Likely Are Learners to Recommend Our Courses
- 10 (Highly Likely) = 55%
Do you prefer Online or Onsite Lean Six Sigma Training?
- Online = 78%
- Onsite = 22%
Does your Lean Six Sigma Training & Certification provider matter?
- Yes = 62%
- No = 38%
Training & Certification Results
Hiring Managers: If you had to choose between two similarly qualified candidates (work experience and education) except one candidate had a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and the other didn’t, who would you prefer to hire?
- Green Belt = 79%
- Non Green Belt = 21%
Does your organization have standard methods for solving problems? What is the success rate of problem-solving efforts?
- No standardized problem-solving method. High success rate of problem solving. = 12%
- No standardized problem-solving method. Medium success rate of problem solving. = 12%
- No standardized problem-solving method. Low success rate of problem solving. = 8%
- Standardized problem-solving method. High success rate of problem solving. = 17%
- Standardized problem-solving method. Medium success rate of problem solving. = 29%
- Standardized problem-solving method. Low success rate of problem solving. = 22%
What is the DMAIC Phase you have the most challenges with?
- Define Phase = 23%
- Measure Phase = 21%
- Analyze Phase = 24%
- Improve Phase = 14%
- Control Phase = 18%
Lean Six Sigma Application Results
What’s the biggest reason Process Improvement projects fail?
- No leadership support = 34%
- No buy-in for solutions = 18%
- No time given to complete improvement efforts = 18%
- No agreed-upon method for problem solving = 21%
Coming soon: What are the biggest obstacles? What phase/part of the project is the most challenging?
Lean Six Sigma Culture Results
Coming soon: Do organizations support continuous improvement? How do they approach problem solving?
Lean Six Sigma Leadership Results
Coming soon: Do leaders support Lean Six Sigma? Do they have the skills to help project teams succeed?
Lean Six Sigma Research Results
Coming soon: What’s the big picture?