5S is a five-step organization technique to create and maintain an intuitive workspace.
- Sort – Remove unnecessary items from the workplace. Keep only what is essential.
- Set In Order – Arrange items so they are easily accessible. “A place for everything, and everything in its place.”
- Shine – Clean the work area so it is neat and tidy. Return all items to their assigned place.
- Standardize – Set standards for a consistently organized workplace. Make standards easy to understand.
- Sustain – Maintain and review standards. Address root causes and avoid reversion to the “old ways.”
Here is a detailed infographic on 5S.