They’re delivering a one-two punch to defects. They’re ridding the earth of process waste. They’re on the front lines delivering customer service perfection. They’re in leadership striving to make a difference in the world. They’re kicking process improvement butt! The Wonder Women of Quality are here!
This month in the Wonder Women of Quality pantheon we are honored to highlight our very own Elisabeth Swan!
Elisabeth is the Chief Learning Experience Officer at GoLeanSixSigma.com and co-author of The Problem-Solver’s Toolkit. She’s been happily consulting, coaching and teaching in the process improvement realm for over 30 years.
What would you say is your Quality Mission?
My mission is our company mission (which I love): To revolutionize the way people learn process improvement—making it easy for everyone everywhere to build their problem-solving muscles!
How would you describe your Quality Superpowers?
- I’m a Translator: This field can lend itself to “geek-speak” which is intimidating for learners. I like to break concepts down into bite-size concepts so people feel invited to see what’s possible
- I’m an Improviser: I not only performed improv on stage for years, but I use it as a staple of process improvement—I love being able to go where the problem solving takes me.
- I See Great Value in People: Everyone has something to teach me—I feel lucky to learn from every interaction I have.
How would you describe organizational Quality Kryptonite?
- A Fixed Mindset: Each of us comes to work with skills, history and a way of thinking. The problem is when people in charge let their backgrounds limit them. Just because we’re experts, doesn’t mean there’s nothing to learn. Always be learning!
What would you say were some of your Quality Victories?
- My proudest accomplishment is spending these last 7 years helping to build a great company with 3 fabulous partners and an outstanding team. GoLeanSixSigm.com has over 223,000 learners, we just made the Inc. 5000—still figuring out what that means—and we are growing fast.
- Producing our Just-In-Time Cafe Podcast—It brought us in contact with inspirational thought leaders and made Tracy O’Rourke and I tackle topics that constantly expanded our minds.
- Co-authoring The Problem-Solver’s Toolkit: The Surprisingly Simple Guide to Your Lean Six Sigma Journey. I found out how much I love writing—I’m ready to write another book!
What are your “Words of Wisdom” to aspiring Wonder Women of Quality?
I started the Wonder Women Series once I realized that all the “official” Quality Gurus were men. I wanted to honor these pioneers, but I also wanted to recognize the dozens of stand-out women in the field today. They make a phenomenal difference in the process improvement world and we should salute them.
Support the women around you—Most men seem comfortable letting others know their value, but we are consistently hesitant to declare our own worth. We can help to raise each other up, so make it a point to encourage and promote each other wherever you can. Quality Women Unite!