All sorts of Wastes could exist in a Shipping Department. Here are a few examples:
- Unnecessary transportation of products
- Unnecessary motion of people
- Unnecessary waiting (waiting to pack and/or ship, or customers waiting)
- Unnecessary inventory (any excess inventory creates LOTS of waste: counting it, moving it, organizing it, damaging it (causing defects). Unnecessary inventory means there is overproduction and over processing.)
- Unnecessary use of equipment (like packing machines) and supplies (paper).