We use the terms “Champion” and “Sponsor” interchangeably but here are some attributes of the role
- This is an executive leader who will drive the initiative within the organization
- They work with the Master Black Belts, Project Management Office or other leaders to select projects aligned with organizational strategy
- They provide resources for improvement teams
- They help remove barriers beyond the team’s control to achieve successful projects
- They support and lead change within the organization
- They help to develop a culture of Lean Six Sigma
Obviously some Champions embody more aspects of the role than others. But this list outlines what a good Champion is all about.