Universities, like any organizations, can have waste. Listed below are some questions to help uncover waste:
For example: Let’s take the waste of waiting and apply it to university processes.
- Where are students waiting? Is the waiting excessive? And, what might the root causes be?
- How long are students waiting to find out if they are in a certain class?
- Are students waiting a long time for exam results?
- How long are students waiting to know if he/she has been accepted into the university?
- How long does it take to get a new course approved?
- How long does it take to create a course catalog and where in the process is there waiting?
- How long are students waiting in lines on campus? (cafeteria? book store? etc.)
Let’s look at the waste of over-processing:
- Which processes might have over-processing? Are there processes that seem lengthy or over-complicated?
- How many forms must be completed for admission?
- How much information is needed on forms? Is all the information necessary? How many approvals are needed?
- How many people touch one piece of paper to get it processed?
- What kind of University administrative processes seem over-complicated and require multiple steps, approvals or touches?
These are all questions to help “see” the waste. Hope that helps!