Kanban is a Japanese term that translates to "card" or “board” and indicates some form…
Watch our free 1-hour webinar, you’ll learn how to use powerful visual management tools to promote positive change in your organization.
Webinar Recording: How to Harness the Power of 5S and Visual Management
Webinar Presentation: How to Harness the Power of 5S and Visual Management
Date & Time
- Date: Thursday, May 19, 2016
- Time: 10 am – 11 am PDT
- What Visual Management is all about
- Why we need Visual Management
- How to conduct a 5S
- What 5S and Visual Management look like
Elisabeth Swan, Managing Partner & Executive Advisor
Elisabeth is a Managing Partner, Executive Advisor and Master Black Belt of GoLeanSixSigma.com. Elisabeth has over 25 years of success helping leading organizations like Amazon, Charles Schwab, and Starwood Hotels & Resorts build problem solving muscles and use Lean Six Sigma to achieve their goals.
Q&As From the Webinar
- I am working with people, mostly working from home in different parts of the country, and meeting them essentially on video chat. How do you adapt Visual Management to this way of working?
- I’m glad you’re discussing digital Visual Management (shared drive). Do you have some tips and/or tools particular to 5Sing something like a shared drive?
- What advice would you give to gain staff buy-in on 5S?
- When doing 5S, should you always do motion study of how items are used?
- How do you use 5S in data based operations? Also, I see Visual Management and 5S inter-related, is that so?
- Are you able to share more work examples of Visual Management in use?
- What techniques have you used to encourage senior stakeholders to allow the use of Visual Management within the business when they are against this practice? I work in a legal, very traditional archaic industry and seniors do not like items on the walls and want clear desks. What would you recommend to get them onboard?
- Do you have any examples of Visual Management in the IT space? You touched on the C drive organization but I was thinking in terms of IT services.
- Do you have any good suggestions for resources on how to use visuals in software development? For example, when your workforce does all of their work within an online workflow system?
- How does one apply 5S in Fleet Management of a downstream petroleum company?
- When it comes to visual management and cultural differences, I know you covered that color coding is a must. However when you need to be more detailed about the process, is it effective to translate it to various languages? Or would it fireback at us since people will lose the focus on the actual topic since there will be too much information?
- Do you have any experience introducing 5S to field resources and their company vehicles? How would you get remote worker buy in?
- Our team shares Outlook calendars as a step to visual planning (using month view) and reminders for a couple of projects. Are there more visual widely available (and OK with corporate IT) tools that you recommend?
- Where would you include Value Stream Mapping or Process Mapping in deploying 5S?
- What retailers, in your experience, carry good items (shelves, metal racks, labels, etc. ) for organizing the workplace?
- How do you keep this, Visual Management, embedded after you’re gone?
- What is the best way to engage employees without making them feel like 5S is an added task or responsibility?
- What are the most important preparation and soft skills before deploying 5S in a business/functional area, that is usually resistant to change?
- How do you standardize a process when there are many people involved?
- Introduction to Lean
- How to Select the Right Improvement Project
- Challenge the Process by Asking “Why?”
- How to Manage Change With Negative Nancy
- How Leaders Can Support Lean Using Leader Standard Work