In a nutshell, after the Process Walk, the walkers will go into a room:
- Debrief the walk, observations, opportunities and waste
- Build a current state map (like a Value Stream Map, but sometimes the team decides a Swimlane Map might be better)
- Identify quick hits (1 or 2 person change that can be implemented immediately)
- Identify short-term solutions
- Design a Future State
- Implement solutions through kaizen events or additional meetings with the team
- Improve the process! YAY!
Process Walks can be just one activity that happens during a Kaizen Event. Kaizen Events can last 3-5 days.