Here is a general schedule of preparation for a 5S:
- Form a team and outline the area to be addressed.
- Plan for an “open house” once the 5S is to be completed.
- Measure the current state (use the 5S Assessment Templates, take before photos, or gather data if needed).
- Plan the approach – decide best time to conduct the 5S based on work flow/volume, etc.
- Pull supplies together (labels, markers, cameras, cleaning products, etc.)
In terms of soft skills, the main thing that will help is involvement. If people have a say in what happens to their work area, then they will have a sense of ownership. Ownership is always more powerful than “buy-in.”